Saturday, January 12, 2013

From "EEEK!" to Chic - The Poorman's actual cupboard

I wanted to get a lot done this weekend, seeing as the apartment is littered with boxes. Unfortunately I had some other errands to run, so I didn't get to everything on the list. One thing that needed to get done was the kitchen...it's been a nightmare. Flashback to a convo with the boyfriend over the phone this weekend while I was at work:

"Hey, where are your bowls."
"Um, they're either in a box in the kitchen, or a box in the den, or a box in my car. But there are definitely glasses in a box somewhere that you can use as a makeshift bowl."

It's been a busy week.

Aside from not having much time, I also don't have much counter space. In like, I don't have any. All I have is this built-in cupboard that needed some cleaning and touching up. So I tackled that this weekend, and tried to find a place for everything.

Despite being a Poorman, I do have some hang ups. Until I have my own house with my own cabinets, I don't like putting plates down on unlined shelves. I didn't buy new liners and I really didn't feel like going to the store, so I made one out of an old white pillow case I'm not using anymore. I cut both sides in order to make it twice as long, measured it, cut it to size and ironed it. Glad to have repurposed it, because it would have otherwise ended up in the trash. And, I bet it's a lot greener than actual shelf liners. And free.

Here are some before and after shots. I got some really cool Phillips Tablets glass bottles from my mom and grandma that I put on the top shelf, along with some cool tins i got from my grandpa with Delft patterns on them. Love! I may not have gotten as much done as I wanted, but I'm def happy with the results!







No comments:

Post a Comment