It's been about a month now since I first "planted" my garden. I can't believe how fast that went! There's been some really cool progress, and also some learning curves. Let's dig in and break it down, shall we?
1. Goliath Tomatoes
That picture above is like my pride and joy of this project. That little guy popped up about 5 days ago and he just keeps getting bigger and bigger. You can see below that there are some more flowers, so I'm hoping for a decent crop.
2. Cherry Tomatoes
No fruit as of yet, but there is definitely some flowering going on. It started off as sort of a runt of a plant, so I'm glad it's making progress.
3. Parsley, Thyme, Basil
These guys are doing great! The other day I made a little pesto with the basil for a lunchtime pasta, and made thyme chicken and parsley salad for dinner. So good!
These are by far my biggest disappointments. These are the original starter plants my mom got me -- they haven't really gotten any bigger. But then all of a sudden, literally in a 24-hour period, this one radish stalk grew like 5 inches and made a pretty little purple flower on top! It's the craziest thing. I think I'll keep it and see what happens next.
I planted some radishes from seeds and they were looking really great -- until I put them outside and fried them in the heat. I need to start a new batch from seeds, but I've just been a little busy (and lazy). I'll probably tackle that today.
Also a little disappointing. I planted 10 strawberry plants in this container, and only 3 of them are growing. I'm not really sure what to do with this -- if I should just let it be, or dig up the the ones that aren't growing and replant the good ones farther apart from each other. I'm going to do a little research on this.
What's promising is that one of the good plants has begun to flower. Still has a long way to go, but I knew that this was going to be a late-harvester so I'll continue being patient.
6. Snow Peas
These guys have been the most work. I've continued building the lattices up, and every morning I inspect the plants to make sure the tendrils are latching onto the lattice and not onto each other (I've had to do a little tender untangling). When the heatwave hit last week, I had to bring the plants inside. They were getting dried out and yellowing up quite a bit at the bottom. And with all the rain, I've kept them inside because they seem so fragile. Today is their first day back outdoors.
Even with just the indoor sunlight, the snow peas have been doing really well! They've been flowering, and we've even got some pods. I 'snapped' one off this morning and tried it -- super crunchy and sweet, perfection!
So that about wraps up the update. I'm going to do some research now about the strawberries, and later I'll sow another batch of radish seeds. Will post again soon!