Thursday, August 4, 2011

Not Cinnamon Buns

Last night, I was craving cinnamon buns, hard. With the white icing, and the sticky spiral layers. So good.

Well, neither Cinnabon nor a trip to the mall are in my budget right now. And I try as much as possible to stick to basics at the grocery store. So, rummaging through my cupboard, I came up with this pretty tasty substitute.

* * *
Peanut Butter Brown Sugar French Toast Minis

1 slice whole wheat bread
Peanut butter
Brown sugar
1/2 cup egg substitute /or/ 2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla

Slice the bread longways into three strips
Spread the peanut butter evenly on the bread strips
Spread the brown sugar evenly on top of the peanut butter





Roll bread strips into spirals*




*Tip: The spirals will need to be held together with something. I didn't have toothpicks last night, so I made mini-skewers out of a chopstick. I always make sure to ask for chopsticks everytime I get Chinese takeout-- they're usually free, and they come in handy with a lot of projects. To make the mini-skewers, I took a knife and took thick shavings from the chopsticks.

Beat eggs and vanilla for one minute
Roll the bread spirals in the egg mixture

Over medium heat, melt a pat of butter into 1 1/2 tsp olive oil in a non-stick pan
Toast the bread spirals in the butter on both sides, and around the perimeter-- about one minute per side

Plate and drizzle with powdered sugar icing, maple syrup, or place a pat of butter on top

* * *

I have no powerded sugar, or maple syrup, so it was butter for me. But man, these were good! The outside got that golden buttery crisp that you get making french toast, and the inside was warm and the brown sugar caramelized with the peanut butter just a little bit. And just those three minis were enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. Definitely a winner!




Also, if you weren't down to your last bit of butter like I was, you could crumble some butter into the brown sugar, or maybe even some crushed nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment